Grazing muzzle

Although I have never been able to keep a grazing muzzle on a horse — I tried one on Freedom to try to prevent cribbing — this pair has it down to a science! Freedom destroyed every cribbing muzzle I tried in under five minutes. Other horses just saw it coming and ran for the […]

Read More

Jockey Not Required

Howgreatisnate leads the field in the Gotham

Howgreatisnate? Pretty fantastic. The previously undefeated three year old showed he knows the drill as he blasted around the Gotham without a jockey. Nate stumbled at the break, losing jockey J.D. Acosta. But that did not stop him. After picking himself up, the colt rallied with an impressive run to the front of the field, […]

Read More

Innovative Girth Option from Wow Saddles

Free Space Girth

When I was growing up, girths were kind of like saddle pads. They were basic. I remember when girths had no elastic, then elastic on one side. Double sided elastic girths seemed like a pretty exciting advance and, compared to one-sided elastic, are better at equalizing the pressure exerted on the horse’s pectoral muscles and […]

Read More

Long Lining Into Fitness

Long lining into Firness

I haven’t ridden much this winter. The footing has been slippery and I no longer have access to an indoor. Given her intermittent work schedule, I decided that both of us needed to get back into shape for spring and that would involve ground work. Last winter I taught Zelda how to long line, so […]

Read More

Save Misty of Chincoteague’s Home, Beebe Ranch

beebe ranch

If you’re an equestrian or a fan of Marguerite Henry’s beloved novel, Misty of Chincoteague, then you know the importance of the Beebe Ranch on Chincoteague Island. The Beebe Ranch is where iconic fictional characters Paul and Maureen Beebee (based on Billy and Maureen Beebe). The story centers on the children’s desire to buy the […]

Read More

Stiletto Boy Wins Santa Anita Handicap for First G1 Win

Stiletto Boy Wins Santa Anita

Stiletto Boy, the 5-year old son of Shackleford, has run competitively in some of America’s richest races — twice third in the $3 million Pegasus World Cup and fifth in the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic — but yesterday’s win of the $500,000 2023 Santa Anita Handicap marked his first G1 win. The colt, ridden […]

Read More

The Benefits of Leather-Alternative Tack

The benefits of non-leather tack

As an equestrian, you want what’s best for your horse. When it comes to equipment, that means choosing materials that are comfortable and durable. And while leather has been the traditional choice for many years, there are now some great non-leather — even Vegan leather — options available, which may align more with either your […]

Read More

Football and Foals SBLVII Watch Party

Football and Foals Superbowl Party

If I were going to watch the Superbowl this year, there’s no question that the best place to watch it from would be at Warm Springs Ranch, where four Clydesdale foals are hosting a sold-out Super Bowl 2023 party. Your $100 ticket entitles you to watch the Superbowl on one of four TVs, dinner, cold […]

Read More