Polo ponies killed by pharmacy error

Flowers were left to commemorate the death of the polo ponies
Flowers were left to commemorate the death of the polo ponies

It’s horrifyingly sad to consider that a pharmaceutical error caused the death of the polo ponies in Wellington, but a report issued by the Associated Press, Pharmacy error linked to polo horse deaths, supports that theory. Thanks to reader Emily Greene for calling this — and another article — to my attention.

An official at a Florida pharmacy said April 23 the business incorrectly prepared a supplement given to 21 polo horses that died over the weekend while preparing to play in a championship match.

Jennifer Beckett of Franck’s Pharmacy in Ocala, Fla., told The Associated Press in a statement that the business conducted an internal investigation that found “the strength of an ingredient in the medication was incorrect.” The statement did not identify┬áthe ingredient.

In another article it was reported:

Lechuza also issued a statement to AP acknowledging that a Florida veterinarian wrote the prescription for the pharmacy to create a compound similar to Biodyl, a French-made supplement that includes vitamins and minerals and is not approved for use in the United States.

How very sad for everyone involved, including the person at the pharmacy. Imagine knowing that you were responsible for the death of all those horses.

My takeaway from this? Be darned sure about what you inject into your horses. When you treat them with a “supplement” because you think it will improve the health or performance of your horse, make sure you aren’t inadvertantly harming them.

Leave a Reply