An electrical fire that started in the middle of the night in a barn at True Prospect Farm took the life of six of Boyd Martin’s horses today. Thanks to the quick actions of those on site, five were evacuated, with four still being treated at New Bolton. What an incredible tragedy for everyone associated with these horses — owners, riders, breeders, grooms . . . Make sure you hug your horse today.
Eventing Nation has the full details on what happened and they also have published a list of five ways that you can help.
- Boyd’s website has posted a link to a True Prospect/SCES relief fund set up through SCES that allows for tax-deductible donations. The site explains: “This relief fund is a general fund set up to help everyone at Windurra LLC and True Prospect Farm, as well as our owners and riders who have been impacted by this tragedy.” [Boyd’s blog and donation link]
- There is also a True Prospect Farm Fire Recover Fund directly from True Prospect Farm. You can pay with either a credit card or a Paypal account. [Information on the fund and donation link]
- Denny Emerson is donating half of his royalties from his new book “How Good Riders Get Good” to help with the recovery. Click here to buy the book.
- Professional Riders Organization (PRO) is putting together and online fundraising auction — check on Eventing Nation for more details on that as it develops.
- Everyone can also make donations through the American Horse Trials Foundation. Boyd, Caitlin and Lillian are already listed there, and donations are tax-deductible. As will all AHTF donations, be sure to write the riders name on a note with the check, not the actual check.The American Horse Trials Foundation
221 Grove Cove Road
Centreville, MD 21617
Phone: (443) 262-9555