We had so much rain over the summer and early fall that I found a fresh crop of mold almost every time I came to the barn. I was cleaning my tack constantly but could barely keep up with it. Even with a de-humidifier running in the tackroom, the mold was getting an upper hand.
Here are some of the tips that I’ve found help:
- Stop using glycerin saddle soap. Glycerin is a humectant and holds moisture — giving mold a great growing environment.
- Always clean mold from your tack in an open location (preferably outside). As you clean, you are sending the mold spores into the surrounding air. You don’t want them to land on another host.
- While washing off mold use a clean towel and wash it after you’ve done.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on your tack — even though they might kill the mold spores, you can damage the leather. I will admit to one exception. Years ago I opened my tack trunk to find my custom chaps dripping in mold. I was at the point of throwing them out when my trainer suggested that I put them in
the washing machine with either Pinesol or Lysol. I tried it and they came out fine. They have also NEVER had a single spot of mold on them since.
- Covering your saddle with a clean towel.
I found that there was only one product out there that will really help prevent mold and those are the Leather Therapy products. I’m not trying to sound like a commercial, but I’ve been using them now for about two months and the difference is amazing. No more mold!