Several years ago I had the idea to build a product review web site for equestrian products. I noticed that equine bulletin boards were full of requests for comments on saddles, different feeds, bit choices and more. I thought it would be helpful to have all that information on one site, organized in a way that made it easy find information.
In today’s tight economy every purchase that I make for my horse undergoes extra scrutiny. If I want to buy a saddle, or try a supplement or medication, or buy a helmet, I find it very helpful to read about others’ experiences. When I looked for a site that offered this type of information, I couldn’t find anything that was like I envisioned.
Research shows that user reviews have the greatest influence in a buying decision. People value the opinions of their peers even more than single reviews by ‘experts.’ That makes quite a bit of sense because with items such a saddles, personal preference plays a large role in someone’s satisfaction. I’m usually leery of testimonials on manufacturers’ websites, too.
I spent a year researching review sites and thinking about how I could make a site that offered a unique perspective (if you like make up and perfume, check out my favorite: www.makeupalley.com). I looked at review sites across many different industries and cherry picked the features that I thought were most compelling.
- Rated user reviews that provide both individual comments and an overall ranking. It was important to me that you could see an aggregate “score” that spans multiple reviews.
- A format that combines multiple reviews in a single location. I didn’t want people to have to keep “clicking” to read more reviews.
- A broad scope of products. Rather than just focus on tack, I wanted to create a single source for the full range of products that equestrians use and need. The site addresses feeds, supplements, stable supplies, blankets, tack, equestrian clothing and even provides a place to rank on-line suppliers.
- Articles on related topics. EquineProductsReview.com will be the new home of Equine Ink. I started Equine Ink while I was waiting for EPR to be built (which took far longer than I expected). I have found that blogging is far more fun than I had ever imagined and I actually am making it a bigger part of Equine Products Review than I had originally intended.
- Videos. Linked into EquineProductsReview.com is a YouTube Channel that offers video reviews, information about products and extensive play lists of amazing, funny and educational equine videos.
The beta version of EquineProductsReview.com went live last September. I got a lot of good feedback and I spent time working with the site and making changes. In fact, I’m still making changes but I figured that the best strategy was to put it out and let it evolve as people use it.
I hope that my readers here will share some of their knowledge and experience on EPR. As they used to say in Chicago, vote early and vote often!
3 thoughts on “EquineProductsReview.com goes live (again)!”
What a great idea! I have had the same experience with trying new products and looking for information before committing to something. I love this – good luck with it. Oh, and are you planning on doing reviews on horse trailers? I know that’s one thing that I have been searching for off and on for years and I can’t find a single source of information or comparison between brands. That would likely be helpful to many people.
I know what a labor (of love???) this has been. I wish you every success!
Yeah!!! Every trip to the tack store requires that I recalculate my budget, but who can resist all of the wonderful new equestrian apparel, riding equipment and the incredibly comfortable Jorge Canaves saddles? Riding boots, breeches, and everything else seems to wear out faster than my shopping list, so it’s especially nice to have an equestrian equipment and horse riding apparel review site, to help me make the most of my shopping experience Thank you!!!